The Sunday Best is a collection of articles I’ve curated for your reading pleasure.
Presenting, this week’s Sunday Best:
Q & A posts are some of my favorites to write. Our anesthesiologist friend Tom @ High Income Parents launched a new series, featuring me as the first guest. Learn a little more about me in the HIP Exam with Physician on FIRE.
Passive Income MD has compiled a comprehensive list of ways physicians can generate side income. The List of Physician Side Hustles.
Financial Independence can afford you an early retirement, but Joe @ Retireby40 adds some important perspective. Don’t Forget to Enjoy the Journey to Financial Independence.
The Corporate Monkey CPA thinks you’re living in oblivion. Amidst a gap year with his family, he has learned lessons while living in Bolivia. Think You’re Frugal? You’re Not.
From a new physician blogger on the scene, a radiation oncologist @ A Good Life MD says Money Doesn’t Buy You Happiness, But Money Might Make You Think You Are Happy.
The White Coat Investor announced the highly anticipated Physician Wellness and Financial Literacy Conference, taking place March 1st to 3rd, 2018 in Park City, Utah. Care to join me?
A few weeks ago, I shared our retirement drawdown strategy. Fritz @ Retirement Manifesto followed suit and encouraged others to do the same, resulting in a series of posts that describe how a range of bloggers plan to access their money post-job.
- Our Retirement Investment Drawdown Strategy by Retirement Manifesto
- Retirement Master Plan by Othala Fehu
- Planning for Success: Drawdown Versus Wealth Preservation in Early Retirement by Plan.Invest.Escape
- The Groovy Drawdown Strategy by Mr. Groovy
- The Nastiest, Hardest Problem In Finance: Decumulation by The Green Swan
- Show Me the Money: My Retirement Drawdown Plan by My Curiousity Lab
- Our Drawdown Strategy by Cracking Retirement
- Our Unusual Early Retirement Drawdown Strategy by Retire by 40
- The ERN Family Early Retirement Capital Preservation Plan by Early Retirement Now
- Mr. 39 Months “Drawdown” Plan by (you guessed it) 39 Months.
- Drawdown Strategy — Joining the Chain Gang by 7 Circles
The “WCI Conference”
I know the good Dr. Dahle has been working hard to put this thing together, and I look forward to sharing my story with a great number of you in person!
The lineup is impressive, and I’m excited to a part of it. Presenters include:
- Dr. William J. Bernstein, author of numerous highly regarded investing books.
- Mike Piper, CPA of the Oblivious Investor and many “made simple” books.
- Jonathan Clements of Humble Dollar and a handful of insightful books.
- Dr. Jim Dahle of The White Coat Investor and the same-titled book.
- Physician on FIRE, author of no books.
- Dr. Bonnie Koo of Miss Bonnie MD and no books (yet).
- Dr. Nisha Mehta of Physician Side Gigs
- Lawrence B. Keller, CFP, of Physician Financial Services
- Sarah Catherine Gutierrez, CFP of Aptus Financial
The schedule is intentionally recreation-friendly, with lectures scheduled from 7 am to 10 am, a five-hour skiing / snowboarding / sightseeing break, with additional talks from 3 pm to 7 pm.
The conference kicks off with a Thursday evening reception, followed by two days of what I expect will be excellent talks. I was given the closing time slot, or as I like to think of it, the headlining spot. 😉 Happy hour to follow — I just might need it!register at this link to get the “early bird” price of $650 for 12 hours of talks and 8 CME credits.
If I’m slow to respond to comments and e-mails today, it’s because we’re camping in Canada this weekend. Our 700 square foot cabin was feeling overly spacious, so we’re going to squeeze our family of four into a ~150 square foot tent.
Cheers to campfires, fireflies, late nights, somebody snoring, early mornings and so much more.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred is an excellent first (or only) rewards card. $50 annual hotel credit for bookings via the Chase UR tavel portal & 5x points for all travel via the portal. 3x points on dining, 2x on other travel. Flexible rewards good for cash, travel, or transfer to travel partners, great travel protection & new Peloton, Lyft & DoorDash perks! $95 Annual Fee
The Chase Sapphire Reserve offers great travel perks including Priority Pass lounge access, a credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓ and a $300 annual travel credit. When using Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, get 10x points on hotels and car rental & 5x points on air travel. 3x points on other travel & dining. Elevated Peloton, Lyft and DoorDash benefits. $550 Annual Fee
Have a great week!
-Physician on FIRE