October 10, 2016
Fall is upon us, and the leaves are falling here in the Northland. There’s football on TV, a familiar crispness to the air, and the smell of burning firewood emanating from chimneys for the first time in half a year. I always look forward to this furlough between swatting mosquitoes and shoveling snow. Here’s hoping it lasts a little while this year.
Changes on the site you may have noticed over the last few months include a beefed up Sunday Best, in which I have started to share more personal stuff, additional calculators, and a lot more comments on posts as the readership has grown. I added an All Posts page to make binge reading easier for newcomers to the blog.
What hasn’t changed is the posting schedule (Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday), the use of my own photos (which my boys have occasionally snuck into), and my mission to educate, enlighten, and entertain you.
As of Sunday, October 9th, the site consists of a home page, 114 posts, and 24 pages. A few fun facts from the sites’ first 9 months.
- 239,589 page views (127,162 last 3 months) according to WordPress / Jetpack
- from 152 countries and all 50 states (according to Google Analytics).
- 1,965 comments (1,208 last 3 months)
- Top 5 countries are USA, Canada, England, Australia and India.
- Top 5 states are California, Texas, New York, Florida, and Illinois.
- 406 e-mail & WordPress subscribers
- 185 Feedly subscribers
- 1,721 Twitter followers
- 68 PoF Facebook friends & 83 PoF page likes
Top 5 Posts to date:
- Double Your Money with the Rule of 72 (6,009 views)
- My Path to Financial Independence (4,817 views)
- A Tale of 4 Physicians: The Impact of Lifestyle (4,485 views)
- He Has Read Over 250 Investing Books. He Recommends These Three Funds. (3,668 views)
- The PoF Portfolio (3,575 views)
The only newcomer to the list is the fourth one, a post about famed Boglehead Taylor Larimore, who was kind enough to share a quote for the article.
Top 5 Pages:
- Home page (68,337 views)
- About Me (6,746 views)
- 4 Physicians (5,103 views)
- All Posts (4,109)
- Blogroll (3,588 views)
All Posts is the lone addition to the Top 5 since the last progress note.
My Top 5 Favorite Posts from the last quarter:
- Geographic Arbitrage, or Why the Great Plains are Great
- Early Retirement and The Likelihood of Regret
- No. Budgets are Not Sexy.
- Top 5 Reasons I Chose Not to Retire at 39
- 50 Ways I’d Like to Spend My Time in Early Retirement
I hope you found them as insightful to read as I found them fun to write. It wasn’t easy to narrow down to just five.
How are readers finding PhysicianOnFIRE.com?
Top 5 referring websites:
- whitecoatinvestor.com (8,797 referrals) I’ve had a guest post there, frequently post in the forum, and comment on posts.
- rockstarfinance.com (5,644 referrals) Featured posts bring in a lot of readers.
- retireby40.org (4,934 referrals) I had a guest post there and have been featured in Joe’s Early Retirement Blogs for Everyone.
- 1500days.com (3,062 referrals) Mr. 1500 hosted me on his Q & A series. I had so much fun with that post, I decided to start a series of my own. He was my first guest. Weeks later, we met up in person and swapped stories and beers. Good times!
- HCPlive.com (2,241 referrals) I contribute to both Physician’s Money Digest and Dentist’s Money Digest. Many of my articles link back to my site.
Since the last newsletter, I’ve added a number of great Site Sponsors, whose ads appear in the right sidebar and near the top of the posts. Although I do not have a specific set of criteria to qualify, I am only allowing sponsors whose services could be beneficial to physicians. No bad guys or gals. Please visit them or check out a synopsis of their services on the Site Sponsors page.
If you are interested in being a sponsor, or know someone who might be, please contact me for more information.