The Sunday Best (12/31/2017)
The Sunday Best is a collection of articles I’ve curated for your reading pleasure.
The New Year’s Eve Sunday Best:
Is the market overvalued? Are we overdue for a nasty bear market? Ben Carson at A Wealth of Common Sense analyzes the past and tells us Stock Market Valuations Won’t Predict the Next Crash.
his take on Donor Advised Funds, you might question The White Coat Investor‘s commitment to giving. You absolutely should not. In Praise of Giving.
The Wall Street Physician believes in giving. His latest posts are a pair with the theme of generosity
As a millionaire who grew up in a trailer, J.D. Roth has known both wealth and poverty. From Get Rich Slowly, What the Rich Do Differently: Habits That Foster Wealth and Success.
Health care costs are getting out of hand. Are doctors to blame? No, say Walker Ray, MD and Tim Norbeck of The Physicians Foundation. As seen on KevindMD, Myths Debunked: Physicians’ Salaries are Too High and They are the Cause of Rising Health Costs.
If you’re not ready to retire from a six-figure salary, consider semi-retirement to a six-figure salary. At 99 to 1 Percent, guest poster Steveark discusses How I Make Six Figures Working Only 16 Hours Per Week.
Bitcoin again? Sure, let’s do it. From The Money Commando, who doesn’t pull any punches:
- A Quick Analysis of Why Investing in Bitcoin in Stupid
- More Reasons to avoid Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies
You may have heard something about tax reform in the last week or two. The latest from the blogosphere on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and its impact on you:
- Merry Tax Reform Christmas: How Your Taxes Change | The Green Swan
- The Effects of Tax Law Reform on Physicians and Other High Income Individuals | The Happy Philosopher
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Uncle Sam Wants to End Your Marriage! | I, Vigilante
- Calculating the New Tax Plan Results | Dr. Cory S. Fawcett
- How the New Tax Plan Affects the High-Income Physician | Passive Income MD
- What Doctors Need to Know About the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act | The White Coat Investor
A New Bogleheads Book!
From Taylor Larimore, Boglehead Emeritus and subject of my second most popular post this year, comes the third book to carry the Bogleheads name. Stemming from an adoration of Vanguard founder John Bogle and his principles, the Bogleheads have a mission to share his philosophy with the masses.
Available in April, but open to pre-order now is:
The Bogleheads’ Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk
All royalties from the sale of the book will be donated to The John C Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.
The Top 10 Physician on FIRE posts from 2017
The year is wrapping up in a few short hours! it’s been a great year here at Physician on FIRE, and today seems like a perfect time to review the top posts of the year, based on pageviews.
If you’re relatively new to the site, be sure to check out what you’ve missed. At some point today, the pages of Physician on FIRE will have been viewed 1.5 million times this year, and these have been the most popular:
10. A Tale of 4 Physicians: The Impact of Lifestyle 9,500 views
9. The PoF Portfolio 9,900 views
8. 20 Steps to Effective DIY Investing 10,000 views
6. Our Drawdown Plan in Early Retirement 11,300 views
5. A Fifth Physician Revisited: The $10 Million Dream 14,000 views
4. Stealth Wealth: I’m Just an Ordinary Average Guy 12,800 views
3. Tax Reform! How Physicians and the Self-Employed are Affected 13,600 views
1. Vanguard Backdoor Roth: a Step by Step Guide 24,100 views
Have a Happy New Year!
-Physician on FIRE